Thursday 9 July 2015

Back on the sewing horse! Butterick 3772

Hi there. I finally did it! I have resumed my sewing. The stresses of the last few weeks have passed, and at last life is calm enough to crank up the sewing machine once more.

 
This is Butterick 3772; it was one of three patterns that came with a magazine I purchased, in an attempt to motivate myself to stitch again.
  
 
The McCall's pattern will be made up before long too, I'm sure; the tucks at the front look really interesting. But, for now, back to this little dress...
 
 
The pattern is super easy: two main pattern pieces, plus facings. It was very quick to sew.
  
 
I discovered that whilst I have to lop inches out of any pattern I make for myself, my daughter is tall for her age. Despite only just turning three, this is rather short on her! To save precious length, I used bias binding for the hem and finished it by hand so it does not show from the right side of the garment. Next time I make this pattern, I will definitely add some length.
 
 
It is a lovely loose shape, which is perfect for the current heatwave in the UK. The little girl is very pleased with it. I was worried that it would be gape excessively around the armholes - the made up examples in the magazine looked very roomy. It is loose at the arms, but you need lots of movement space when you are three for climbing and clambering, so I won't change the armcycle. 
  
 
You might  recognise the fabric - it is leftover from my Simplicity Blogger Challenge. She loves that we have the same dress. We wont wear them at the same time, though - promise!
 
 
One feature I really like about this pattern is the button on each shoulder strap. It makes for a lovely wide opening to take the garment on and off.  Perfect if you are three, and have just eaten jam in your new dress!
 
 
Not much more to say. You can knock one up in next to no time, and it demands very little attention: perfect sewing, and perfect for my first project back. 
 
 
Cheerio for now, and thank you everyone for your support when my sewing mojo vanished. I love how supportive the online sewing community is.





7 comments:

  1. Glad you've got your sewing mojo back! This looks like the perfect project to get you started again - simple, effective and obviously very popular with its recipient!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for getting your sewing mojo back! The dress is super cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely dress, and it looks perfect for this weather! I think you should wear your matching dresses together - if your daughter allows! I made my son a tshirt with sleeves the same as a tshirt I made me - we both had them on yesterday, but then he's too young to protest about that yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear your sewjo has returned! This is such a sweet little dress. I agree that button shoulders are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back enjoying sewing again :) I think simple, lovely projects like this are a great way to fuel motivation and inspiration. Your daughter looks very satisfied with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a stunner! and so is she, but she obviously takes after her Mum!
    best daisy j x

    ReplyDelete
  7. She looks so lovely in her beautiful new dress! Maybe you could add a contrast section of fabric to lengthen it? Or a length of lace? Or a ruffle? If not, it'll look ace with leggings as a tunic when she gets bigger. The button closure looks ideal! xx

    ReplyDelete