Monday 9 June 2014

Sewing a litte home decoration

Okay; I've found it hard to find the time to sew lately, so my latest make is rather small; but, on the plus side, it meant that I could get it together very quickly.


In case you are wondering what in the name of crikey they are, they are stuffed fish!  I've just decorated our downstairs loo and have put a few seaside themed pieces in to snaz it up. I've added a painting of a seagull by a local artist, and a mirror framed with found driftwood. I thought a little handful of hanging fabric fish would look cute too.


As it was a simple idea, I drew out my own design and then added a 1cm seam allowance. I cut the shapes out of scrap fabric.


As they were so small, sewing them only took a matter of moments. I sewed in some string, as I wanted them to hang down when on display.


Next up was stuffing them and sewing up the gap. This was done while sitting on the couch watching "Moonlighting"!  My husband has bought the box-set to wallow in some 80's nostalgia.  They make for fun viewing, especially when accompanied with a nice glass of wine.  I'd forgotten how handsome Bruce Willis was before he became a bald Hollywood action hero!  But I digress! The finishing touch was a button added for an eye.


Tee hee! They are a bit of fun: I rather like them hanging off my loo roll holder. Still deciding exactly where to put them, but they definitely add some life to a boring room.


Hoping to get my energies back soon to tackle a larger project, as I am bursting with dressmaking ideas. 

4 comments:

  1. They're fun! Glad you've found a sewing project to match your energy levels - hope you get to put your dressmaking ideas into action soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am feeling better. And as if to prove it- the sewing machine is back on the dining table!

      Delete
  2. Such a fun decorating idea! I'd never have come up with that. Hope you feel better soon - just think how fruitful this planning stage is when it comes to starting new projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still not full steam ahead but definately getting there. I have a pattern traced waiting for fabulous fabric. A skirt cut-out, a pirate costume on the table and a list of "I need these" a mile long.

      Delete