Sunday 22 June 2014

My first sew along, Happy Homemade

Elsie Marley and You and Mie have been running a sew-along for Happy Homemade's Pullover Parka.  Although I had already made this once before as a winter fleece jumper I thought I'd give the sew along a whirl and make a light summer version.



The sew along walks you through each section of the make, from choosing fabrics and designing your Parka, to cutting out and sewing it up.


The design is a cute hooded top with midi length sleeves, elastic at the neckline and a drawstring at the waist.  It is from Happy Homemade Sew Chic Kids, and I have gushed before about how wonderful I think this book is - truly worth getting if you are sewing for children.


I chose to try my hand at refashioning. My darling husband was about to throw away a rather lovely soft blue cotton shirt which was too scruffy at collar, wrists and armpits to be worth donating to the charity shop, but had plenty of usable fabric nonetheless.


As it was an old shirt, I decided to include the button placket, but sew it down to make it only decorative.


Because I wanted to keep this feature, I decided to omit the drawstring tie at the bottom. To be honest, little one is only four, so I doubt he'd be able to tie it anyway. This way he'll be able to take it on and off without adult help.


I rather like the way it gathers around the middle button placket - it gives it a cool vibe.  The cotton is thin, so this will be perfect on hot sunny days down on the beach.  And if it gets wet due to excessive paddling, it will air-dry in no time.


It is rather nice to have made a wearable top out of what was going to end up in the bin.  This is all that was left of the shirt, so near to zero waste again:


I enjoyed making the parka and it has been lovely seeing what everyone else has made: there are some fine versions out there.  But... I am not sure I would do it again. I've found it hard sewing to a deadline.  It has resulted in an okay make, but definitely not my best or neatest sewing. I have to remind myself I'm sewing because I enjoying the process, not to be the quickest or the best!  Having said that, it was nice to feel we were all doing it together.  For the moment, I am undecided. 


I think the boy looks mighty fine in his hooded parka, and I'm looking forward to him wearing it over the summer.

Next, to make something for... ME!



10 comments:

  1. I'm with you on he deadline sewing. I never enjoy it as much as i think I will. His is a cute top. Great for summer, as you say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't think deadlines are for me really.

      Delete
  2. This is a really lovely version of the hoodie/parka and top marks for recycling every useable scrap of the shirt - very inspiring. I agree about sewing to deadlines, it takes a lot of fun out of it. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I did feel rather proud of my economical thriftyness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a good way to use an old shirt! Know what you mean about deadlines, I only join in with sewalongs if I know I definitely have plenty of time to get things done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a good idea. Glad I did it though.

      Delete
  5. Nice refashion!! Looks so lightweight and comfortable for the summer. Thanks so much for sewing along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting, everything was brilliantly explained.

      Delete
  6. This is so fantastic! I never would have thought to use a men's shirt, but I love how it looks. The buttons down the front are great. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much. It was a great sew along thank you for organising it.

    ReplyDelete