Sunday 5 January 2014

Happy New Year!

Wow, had a lovely Christmas and New Year!  Don't mean to sound suprised that it was so enjoyable, but it was the first festive period for many a long year without a bout of Noro virus laying the whole family low. Hooray!


We relaxed, saw friends, went to family parties, and ate loads and loads; but I did find time to do some sewing too.


Finally, I feel brave enough to show you my disastrous green dress.  It is probably the worst work I have done since I started sewing! But I am determined to avoid having any UFOs so I ploughed on and on until it was wearable.


The fabric is a green velvet stretch knit.  If you remember, the seams popped everywhere, and the fabric slipped all over the place as I stitched. Thank you to everyone that offered me advice, either here or on twitter, when I was close to quitting - it was really appreciated.  I now have a walking foot and special "stretch" needles.  I've also finally understood what the stretch stitches are for on my machine.


Because of the stretch the dress is rather big on me.  But great for christmas gluttony as no tight waistlines.  I've worn it twice over Christmas with pride. And... it survived the wash!


Would I sew with velvet again?  Yes, but not for a while.  I am still very much a beginner, and I think I need a few more skills under my belt before I attempt something this difficult again.  But for now I can relax: it's made, it's been worn, and the disasters along the way have not destroyed my love of sewing.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a good Christmas dress! Well done for persevering and getting it finished - I don't think my willpower would have been so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm just so pleased its over! Wearing it has been fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't look bad to me! I love trying new and crazy sewing experiments, because it keeps it interesting and fun. I think my next one will be making some size 4 leather pants into size 10 leather pants. We'll see how it goes. Oh, and I want to try that faux fur pullover from The Selfish Seamstress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah.. but you haven't seen the inside of it! Tis awful. I like that faux fur pullover too, I have a pattern for a bolero that would work in faux fur.

    ReplyDelete